OUR SPECIALISTS ARE Here to Assist you
Farms and Ranches are a highly specialized asset class. Fundamentally, though, it’s important to understand the distinction between a farm and a ranch. In fact, all ranches are farms, but not all farms are ranches. A farm is a broad term that refers to a large plot of land that is mostly used for agriculture and/or recreational activities. It includes agricultural area utilized primarily for food production and/or recreational activities.
As a result, a farm might be defined as land where a farmer raises crops and livestock in order to produce dairy products. A ranch, on the other hand, will be primarily focused on raising animals such as sheep, cattle, goats, and pigs.
Farm and ranch ownership tends to be spread between national and multi-national major industry players and a collection of long-owned family businesses, many of whom generally have smaller properties. It is these which become available more frequently.
Still, no matter which type of farm or ranch property you are interested in as a buyer, seller or needing an appraisal, one of our professional commercial property advisors at Century 21 will be able to assist you. Our offices nationwide cover a diverse range of farm and ranch services, from sprawling thousand-acre ranches to intimate ranch homes and micro-farms.
We can help you with, amongst other things, issues relating to…
WHEN BUYING OR SELLING A FARM OR RANCH
To ensure a smooth transaction, we can:
- inspect the site/property to understand the scale, the terrain, the property’s accessibility and proximity to markets, how close it is potential customers or wholesalers, location to population centers, and so on;
- review the zoning and making sure this farmland is designated farmland and zoned for raising crops and livestock;
- check property lines which may be hard to determine on larger properties and, if necessary arranging a survey;
- investigate and understand the property’s water rights;
- clarify the past history of land usage to see what crops have been grown or animals reared
WHEN LEASING A FARM OR RANCH
- identify and introduce possible tenants;
- review the proposed lease documentation, its structure terms and condition and the financial arrangements, basis of rental; what is the duration of the lease and the covenant and experience of the tenant
ADDITIONAL REVENUE GENERATION FROM ENVIRONMENTAL ASSETS
- implement creative land investment strategies to generate supplemental revenue, taking into account the value of existing and potential environmental assets on a ranch (wetland mitigation, species, carbon);
- develop a business strategy implement a capital/funding program for and co-ordination of the development and construction of environmental assets;
ADDITIONAL REVENUE GENERATION FROM OTHER SOURCES
Is there potential for eco-tourism or creating more upmarket accommodation for homestay visitors or even hunting?
In terms of accommodation, off-grid, spacious ranches tucked away from the hustle, lights, and sounds of the big city are becoming a more popular destination with travelers and, hence, investors. Modern technology is making many jobs less location dependent and taking “roughing” on a farm or ranch to a more glamorous level.
We can also access a variety of information including knowledge about proximity to local facilities and services, state and local taxes and zoning, utilities, lending, etc.
In short, Century 21 commercial specialists have a full range of knowledge about farms and ranches and are able to provide a scope of services according to your needs.
If you are a buyer or seller, owner, or a prospective tenant for a farm or ranch, feel free to call or email us now for the right advice!
Find Your Local Specialist Now!
Our Commercial Advisors offer local knowledge
with a global reach.